Sunday, January 27, 2013

Resolutions Pt 1



If there's one thing I've learned with the start of 2013, passing the time by consuming oneself with work and unessential activities, is a double edged sword. While it acts as a welcome distraction from unfavourable situations, I've also found that in doing so can cause you to neglect and disarrange your priorities.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes the only remedy for your troubles is to curl up on the couch, and watch marathons of Downton Abbey and Suits, complete with a pint of Haagen Dazs and a glass of white wine.




JACKET: Danier Leather, BLOUSE: JCrew, PANTS & BELT: Club Monaco, SHOES: H&MxMMM, FAUX FUR COLLAR: Michael Kors, 
BAG: Custom, WATCH: Movado


Feeling like I've just experienced some beguiling time warp (between the holidays til now) and reflecting on those all too familiar New Year's resolutions, has led me to notice some startling habits in times of stress: living day to day, trying to make it to week's end and making excuses to let my "to-do's" wait until tomorrow.  With respect to these findings and given more thought on what I hope to achieve this year, I've had to ask myself the following:
  1. What do these past habits mean?
  2. How do they affect me? 
  3. What needs to change?
The answers to these questions are simply a matter of mindfulness. While I'm a huge proponent of writing things down and setting intentions, I've often noticed these intentions merely live on paper rather than being executed in reality. Hence, one of my primary resolutions this year is to set these goals and attach them to stricter deadlines with better intended results. Seriously, the folks who came up with the concept of SMART goals weren't kidding around.

Every New Year lends itself the opportunity for a fresh start, and the excitement with which it brings to set goals, and re-ignite the fire to pursue your dreams (read: BHAGs).  It's not everyday you can experience this kind of optimism and elation from starting anew, but there's something about 2013 that I know will bring incredible new ventures and possibilities.  

2013 going to be a great year, I can feel it in my bones. 

Photos courtesy of Christine from VancityTribe. See my recent interview and SPOTLIGHT here.



No comments:

Post a Comment